Friday, March 14, 2008

New Photos Posted: A Wedding in Thailand

Wow! I'm up in Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. Yesterday was Adam Freed's and Michelle Gauthier's wedding here. I was the only friend from Canada who managed to come. The wedding still had plenty of guests, though, as many people from our hostel (Spicythai Backpackers -- one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in), attended.

The wedding started at midnight when we went to the night flower market to buy lots of flowers. We also sampled some food -- sausage, banana pancakes and INSECTS! I tried a whole dried cricket. It burst with an odd flavour in my mouth when I chomped its crunchy abdomen and the legs got caught between my teeth. It was not an experience I'd like to repeat.

After the market, we returned to the hostel and decorated the hostel truck with flowers until 2 AM. Admittedly, I'm not very good at flower arranging, so after I put a few on, I mostly took pictures (which I am good at).

At 6 AM we woke up and drove up to a shrine to offer food to monks and receive blessings. From there, we drove up a twisty mountain road to Doi Suthep temple. This temple is about 700 years old and contains a large golden chedi with a relic of the Buddha. We made more offerings, received more blessings, and heard stories as the hostel owner, Pong, played tour guide. He definitely knew his stuff.


By about 11 AM we drove back into the city and headed to city hall to sign the wedding papers. There was a bit of a bureaucratic hurdle to surmount, but things were sorted out and Adam and Michelle were officially married. We celebrated with sticky rice, bread, and ice cream from a nearby vendor.

The afternoon was spent napping, resting, and recharging for the night's activities. We went to a bar for dinner, drinks, and a toast!

As I was the only friend from Canada who managed to make the big trek to this wedding, I was the Best Man by default. I also served as a witness (along with Jenny from the U.S.A.). Additionally, I served as an amateur wedding photographer (along with Alex from Hamilton, Ontario!).

I've picked out the nicest photos taken by both Alex and me and posted them on Picasa. Enjoy!

No comments: