Saturday, November 29, 2008

My New Camera

So photography is important to me. I take a lot of photographs, and I feel that I'm getting better and better at being a photographer. I've been looking forward to getting a new camera for a while... one with more manual controls and better performance. I want to learn more of that neat professional stuff. However, since I'm backpacking for an extended period of time, I'm very conscious of my payload. I'm trying to travel light and I'm very reluctant to get a big, proper, digital SLR camera. The cost does not bother me so much (they're not really THAT expensive), but the size and the fragility of such a device is somewhat intimidating to me given my current mode of travel. If I wasn't on this trip right now, I'm very sure that I would go and buy a digital SLR camera straight away.

But, I'm not. It's been a difficult decision for me, but I finally found a camera that falls in between the two extremes. It's bigger than your regular ultra compacts, but still much smaller than digital SLRs. It provides many of the features and manual controls of digital SLRs. It's something I feel I can really learn and expand my skills with. I bought myself a Canon Powershot G10.

There was a review posted to the Digital Photography Review website recently. It's very favourable. The Panasonic LX3 got higher reviews, however (I think this is the camera that Will Chau is eyeing right now). I think the Canon has more manual controls and that's what I'm looking for right now, so I don't regret my decision.

Hopefully, in the upcoming months, you can see the results being posted here. I know my photographs are already pretty "good" so far. Hopefully, they can now be "better".

--
Rob Szumlakowski
The Beachouse, Fiji

No comments: